Earlier this week I got an awesome present from my work secret Santa. (Thank you mystery friend!) I don’t know what to call it, but they are a pack of stencils that you put over cupcakes or frothy coffee and then sprinkle some sugar over it and you get an image. And mine are all Star Wars related! They take a little finesse to use, but I think I made some nice designs. It’s a perfect present not only because it combines two things that I love, but also because the new Star Wars film, The Force Awakens, comes out on TOMORROW! I’m so excited! And for that reason (and inspired by this present) I’ve put together a Star Wars Gift Guide for Foodies.
Star Wars foodie might seem like a niche market, but based on the vast array of products out there, I’m sure I’m not the only one. Today’s post is actually compiled of two lists. One is a list of 10 fun food related gifts for Star Wars fans and the other is 5 Star Wars foods you can easily make at home – no special molds or tools required. With all of this you can celebrate the new film and treat your Star Wars fan (or yourself) to some lovely Christmas gifts. So let’s get to it.
10 Foodie Gifts for Star Wars Fans
1. Star Wars Apron from Alexenia on Etsy, $53 – I got this for Christmas for last year and I love it! The print is a bright, cute, Star Wars comic. And I love that the cut is feminine and different. It’s not your usual boxy apron.
2. Death Star Ice Mold, from Amazon, $4 – I think I recommended this last year too, and I still believe it’s a cool present. This is inexpensive and perfect for a stocking stuffer. Also this big circular size is meant to be perfect for cocktails because the ice melts more slowly.
3. Millennium Falcon Cutting Board, from I Want One of Those, £19.99 – The fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy, now in your kitchen. With this cutting board, you can finish your prep work in less than 12 parsecs.
4. Star Wars Ugly Sweater Mug, from Amazon, $13 – Cute and seasonally festive this mug is a great gift. Your Star Wars fan can snuggle up at home in front of the TV with hot cocoa and enjoy the films.
5. R2D2 Measuring Cups and Spoons, from Think Geek, $19.99 – I love this not only because it’s cute, but also because it’s so efficient. It has all the measuring cups and spoons you need and they all fit together for easy storage (and to make R2D2).
6. Star Wars Cook Book, from Barnes and Noble, $15 – Ok so the titles for the recipes are all cheesy puns and silly alliteration, but overall the book is fun. It’s great for the younger fan on your list, but I think adults would find it amusing too.
7. 8 Piece Star Wars Cookie Cutter Set, from Williams-Sonoma, $24 -Love these cookie cutters! You get a great mix of Republic and Imperial characters and ships. Also they are really easy to use and I’ve only ever had dough get stuck to the C3-PO cutter. The others work perfectly. See the Yoda cutter in action with these Green Tea & Lemon Shortbread Cookies.
8. Star Wars Planetary Glasses, from Think Geek, $49.99 – These glasses are a more subtle, grown up, and dare I say it – a beautiful way to let your nerd flag fly. Think Geek also has glasses with the real planets from our solar system in case reality is what you’re in to.
9. Storm Trooper Oven Mitt, from Think Geek, $14.99 – I think this is just fun and kind of bad ass. They also have a Darth Vader oven mitt too.
10. Light Saber Chop Sticks, from Amazon, $17 – Who wouldn’t want their own light sabers? And you couldn’t sometimes use help from the Force when picking up slippery sushi? I feel like this gift solves all your problems. Available in lots of colors so you can represent your favorite character.
5 Star Wars Foods (to celebrate the Force Awakens)
Ok and now for those who might want to celebrate the Force Awaken’s release, or who wants to do something nice for your Star Wars fan, I have a list of 5 Star Wars themed foods you can make. These recipes are great because you don’t need a cake mold of Darth Vader’s face or special cookie cutters. Your regular kitchen equipment should be just fine.
- Storm Trooper Marshmallow Pops, from Catch my Party – So cool looking and all you need is three things: marshmallows, food coloring marker, and lollipop sticks. Easy!
- Leia Cupcakes from Paintbrushes and Popsicles – Leia’s hair is iconic and so easy to recreate with food through cinnamon rolls or as we see on these cupcakes, with Oreos!
- Chewbacca Hash Browns & Bacon, from Carrie Elle – I am in love with this Chewbacca breakfast. I find it perfectly elegant in design. All you’re doing is making regular breakfast and designing it in the best way ever. It’s awesome!
- Yoda Apple, from Kitchen Fun with My 3 Sons – Small but powerful, this apple snack is just like Yoda! It’s great that it’s healthy too.
- BB-8 Quesadilla from Totally the Bomb – The last thing on my list today, and this really is from the new film. Already BB-8 has become pretty popular and now you can bring him to your home in quesadilla form. Ok, so you might need some piping skills but I think the effort would be worth it. This is so cute.
Hope you all enjoyed these lists, and better yet I hope you enjoy the film tomorrow!